Apply for a disabled facilities grant

Who can apply

If you are a homeowner or a tenant and you need to adapt your property to meet the needs of a disabled person, you can apply for a grant of up to £30,000.

Your property can be a house or flat, qualifying houseboat or park home or you could be adapting the common parts of a building with one or more flats.

To apply you must:

  • meet our standard rules for grant applicants (you will need to read our page ‘Grant applicants - standard rules and conditions’)
  • have a written assessment from an Occupational Therapist saying that the proposed work will meet the needs of the disabled person
  • provide information on your income and savings


Unless the adaptations are for a child, we may ask you to contribute towards the costs. This will depend on the income and savings of the disabled person’s household.

If the total cost of the works comes to more than £30,000, we may apply a means-tested discretionary top-up. This top up will need to be repaid when the property is eventually sold.

If you sell the property

If you sell the property within 10 years of the adaptations we paid for, we can ask you to repay some of the money if the grant was over £5,000. Subject to the grant not being more than £30,000 the maximum we can ask you to repay is £10,000.

Apply for a grant

Contact us to discuss applying for a disabled facilities grant.

Relocation grant if a property can’t be adapted

If it isn’t practical to adapt a property to provide the necessary facilities for a disabled person, we may provide a grant of up to £15,000 to help you move to a more suitable home. This funding is used to support people eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) where it is considered more suitable for them to relocate rather than remain in their existing property.

The relevant costs which can be treated as discretionary would include reasonable legal costs, estate agents fees, removal costs, necessary utility set up costs and minor adaptations to make the property suitable for their need.

The maximum funding available would be up £15,000. There is the assumption that the client is relocating to accommodation that is suitable for his needs and will not need funding for adaptations from mandatory DFG. As this is discretionary funding all of the costs would be registered as a land charge against the new property and would be fully recoverable on the sale of that property.

You need to provide an assessment from an Occupational Therapist saying:

  • that the disabled person needs adaptations

  • and that the current property can’t be adapted

If a relocation grant is provided, all of the funding given will be claimed back when the property is eventually sold

Last Modified: 03/06/2021 16:27:08

Housing Contact Centre

You can get in touch with our Contact Centre

Address: Guildhall 2
High Street
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 0208 547 5003