Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator Change cookie preference

Council tax appeals

Appeal your banding

Types of appeal

There are a number of different reasons to appeal to the council regarding a grievance with your Council Tax bill:

  • Appeals against the banding of your property
  • Appeals regarding Council Tax Reduction Scheme
  • Appeals regarding Council Tax Liability
  • Appeals against completion notices
  • Appeals against penalty notices

If you have lodged an appeal you must still pay your Council Tax bill until the outcome of an appeal is known, 

Appeals against the banding of your property

Council Tax bands are allocated by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and not the Council

You can view your property and check if you can request a review, by selecting ‘council tax’ on the VOA site 

You can contact the VOA for further advice

If you cannot use the online service, call 03000 501 501. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

What does it cost to appeal?

Appealing against your Council Tax banding does not cost you anything. You do not have to employ an estate agent, solicitor, surveyor or any other person to assist you unless you choose to do so.

If you do choose to employ someone to handle an appeal you are likely to be charged a fee for any work carried out on your behalf, even if this involves only giving advice and information. Please make sure you fully understand the terms of any contract before you sign it

If you are contacted by any person or company who offers to appeal against your Council Tax band on your behalf, you may wish to check the Valuation Office Agency page on Council Tax agents for advice before making any commitment.

Further information

You can find more information on the Valuation Office Agency website.

Last Modified: 05/07/2022 14:45:16