Challenging a Penalty Charge Notice
Please refer to the London Councils advice, on when you can challenge a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).
Before submitting a challenge, you should view the evidence held relating to your PCN.
CCTV and photographic evidence
- Many PCNs are supported by CCTV or photographic evidence. Where this is the case, you should review the evidence before challenging your PCN.
- Sometimes no photos are taken and there is no CCTV footage - this doesn't mean the penalty charge notice is not valid.
- CCTV evidence is available in cases where evidence has been recorded by CCTV and a PCN has been issued by post on that basis.
- If the penalty charge is based on CCTV footage we will select still images from the CCTV footage to support the charge.
- The still images are included in the PCN sent by post.
- There will always be CCTV footage for moving traffic and bus lane contraventions.
- Photographic evidence is available whe
Your PCN has a PCN Number that should start with KT or QT. To see details about your PCN and the photographic evidence linked to it, please choose the relevant link below.
You will need your penalty charge notice number and vehicle registration
How to challenge a PCN
- If you think we have issued you with a PCN unfairly, the simplest and quickest way of challenging it is to complete the online form.
- If you choose to challenge your PCN, you should do this as soon as possible or you may lose your right to challenge the penalty. If you have any evidence you wish to submit, you will be able to upload files during the process.
- If you wish to challenge more than one PCN you will need to submit an individual appeal for each one.
If you have any queries regarding your PCN please call us on 020 8547 5995 (Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm)
Make the challenge as soon as possible
Your Penalty Charge Notice, Notice to Owner or Enforcement Notice will explain how long you have to respond, by making a payment or by contacting us. You should respond within the timeframes on the notice or you may lose your right to challenge the penalty. If we receive your challenge or representation within the discount period stated on the PCN then you will be offered a further opportunity to pay the discounted amount if the PCN is upheld.
Please note that if a warrant has been issued you will need to contact the enforcement agents directly.
Further information about challenging a PCN or taking your case further is available from the London Tribunals.