Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

Updated 16th February 2021

Kingston Register Office is currently operating a limited service for giving notice. 

If you have a ceremony booked to take place within the next six months, please complete the Notice Appointment Request Form.  You will then be contacted to arrange an appointment.  Before submitting your details please read our Privacy Notice.

Notice Appointment Request Form

You can get married or form a civil partnership in the UK if you’re:

  • 16 or over
  • free to marry or form a civil partnership (single, divorced or widowed)
  • not closely related

You need permission from your parents or guardians if you’re under 18 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

In England, Wales and Scotland, both opposite and same-sex couples can marry in a civil or religious marriage ceremony of form a Civil Partnership.

Civil partners have the same legal rights as married couples in many areas of the law including parental responsibility, child maintenance, inheritance tax, social security, tenancy rights, full life insurance recognition and next of kin rights.

British or European Economic Area (EEA) national

If you wish to tie the knot at a register office, licenced venue or church (other than Church of England), you are legally required to give notice of marriage or civil partnership.

You and your partner must both give separate notices, in person, to the superintendent registrar for the district where you live.

  • Notice must be given at least 29 days before your ceremony.
  • You need to prove you have lived in the district for a minimum of seven consecutive full days before the appointment.
  • You must also know the name of the venue where your ceremony is taking place.

Please email [email protected] to book an appointment.

Non EEA National

If you or your partner are non UK/EEA nationals, and subject to immigration control, you must go together to a designated register office in England and Wales to give your notice of marriage or civil partnership. Kingston Register Office is a designated register office. Alternative designated register offices across England and Wales can be found on the GOV.UK site.

You are each required to supply a passport sized colour photograph when giving notice, which will be attached to the legal paperwork. Guidelines for passport photos can be found on the website.

Where one or both partners are subject to immigration control, register offices are required by law to inform the Home Office of a couple's intention to marry or form a civil partnership. The Home Office will review each couple's case. Please note, the notice period could be extended to 70 days.

Couples who have a valid Marriage / Civil Partnership Visa, Indefinite Leave to Remain or Right of Abode in the UK, will not be referred to the Home Office.

We work in close co-operation with the Home Office (Immigration) for the detection and prevention of sham marriages and civil partnerships.

Documents to bring

Every person, regardless of nationality, wishing to give a notice of marriage or civil partnership must bring the following documents with them to their appointment. If you fail to produce the correct documents or photos (if applicable) your notice cannot be taken.

You must bring one document each for each section below

Evidence of name, date of birth and nationality:

  • valid passport
  • British citizens only: a UK birth certificate if you were born before 1983 plus evidence of your current name.
  • if you were born after 1983 a full birth certificate plus evidence of a parent's British nationality e.g. their passport or birth certificate in addition to evidence of your current name
  • valid EEA identity card
  • certificate of registration as a British citizen together with evidence of current use of that name as shown in the document
  • certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen together with evidence of current use of that name as shown in the document
  • valid biometric immigration document
  • valid Home Office travel document (please contact us for advice)

Proof of residence (in order of priority)

  • utility bill (not older than three months)
  • bank statement (not older than one month). If using an online statement this must be stamped by the relevant bank to show that it is an authentic document
  • most recent Council Tax bill (not older than one year)
  • mortgage statement (not older than one year)
  • valid driving licence in your current name
  • current residential tenancy agreement
  • letter signed by proprietor/owner of the address who is able to confirm your period of residence with an associated document such as an airline boarding pass

If previously married:

  • a 'decree absolute' if you were divorced in this country or an original final divorce document with translation if the divorce took place abroad
  • a death certificate for your late husband or wife if you are widowed   

If the divorce took place abroad you will need to produce an original final divorce document with a translation. There is a fee payable for the consideration of a divorce obtained outside the British Isles. Visit the GOV.UK website to find out more.

Previously in a civil partnership:

  • documents that show the civil partnership has been dissolved
  • a 'death certificate' for your late civil partner you are a surviving Civil Partner   

If the civil partnership dissolution took place abroad you will need to produce an original document with a translation. There is a fee payable for the consideration of a dissolution obtained outside the British Isles. Visit the GOV.UK website to find out more.

After the appointment

Your completed notice of marriage or civil partnership will be displayed at the Register Office for 29 days.

If no objection is made, ‘the schedule’ which enables your civil partnership to proceed will then be issued.

Getting married abroad

If you are getting married abroad please contact Kingston Register Office for advice.   

Fees and charges

To give a notice of marriage or civil partnership:

  • British/EEA nationals - £35 each notice
  • one or both of the couple are non EEA nationals and subject to immigration control - £47 each notice

Ceremonies at:  The Old Court House, Guildhall, Kingston upon Thames:

  • Thursday £280
  • Friday - £300
  • Saturday £360

Ceremonies at other approved premises:

  • Weekday- £450
  • Saturday - £500
  • Sundays and Bank Holidays - £600

To secure a booking for a ceremony, a non refundable booking fee of £30 is payable in addition to the above fees.

Certificates cost £11 each

The ceremony

Civil partnerships are registered by signing the civil partnerships document and there is not a requirement for a ceremony to take place or to exchange vows. Marriages are established by the exchange of words and in the form of a religious or civil ceremony.


Civil partnership certificates include the names of both parents of the parties whereas marriage certificates only include the fathers’ names.

Ending the relationship

A civil partnership is ended by a Dissolution Order whereas a marriage is ended by a Decree Absolute of divorce.


Some countries recognise civil partnerships whilst others do not so when it comes to travelling or decisions to move abroad, this could cause issues. Marriage is recognised as a legally binding institution throughout the world.

Further advice and information

You can get more information about getting married in England or Wales or getting married abroad from GOV.UK.

Alternatively, you can contact the Kingston Register Office.


Last Modified: 19/03/2021 16:30:30

Registration Services

Opening Hours by appointment only: Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm. Saturday 10am - 1pm

Address: The Old Court House
High Street
Kingston upon Thames

Telephone: 020 8547 5000