Workplace Health and Wellbeing
Mental health is an issue your organisation can’t afford to ignore:
- 1 in 6 British workers are affected by conditions like anxiety, depression and stress every year
- Mental ill-health is the leading cause of sickness absence in the UK, costing an average of £1,035 per employee per year
- 95% of employees calling in sick with stress gave a different reason
- 30% of line managers have taken part in mental health training, yet 80% acknowledge they have a responsibility for employee wellbeing
- And just 16% of employees feel able to disclose a mental health issue to their manager
There is significant evidence to show that looking after the mental health of your employees makes business sense and increases productivity. We urge employers to be proactive in supporting the health and wellbeing of their employers, addressing issues around productivity, sickness absence, presenteeism and staff satisfaction, amongst others. This site gives some options for best practice with regards to enhancing the health and wellbeing of your workplace.
Mental Health First Aid Training
The Council is offering local accredited Mental Health First Aid training to business’ in the borough. All training offers are delivered by Mental Health First Aid England accredited trainers. You will receive accredited recognition for attending this training. There is a choice of two training options available:
Two-Day Mental Health First Aider training
Your mental health first aiders will have:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support - whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix
One-Day Mental Health First Aid Champion training
Your mental health champions will have:
- Knowledge and confidence to provide Mental Health First Aid for the most common mental health issues
- Understanding of how to help build a mentally healthy workplace, challenge stigma and support positive wellbeing
How to book?
Two-Day Mental Health First Aider training: Please complete and return the attached booking form for Two-Day Mental Health First Aider training.
One-Day Mental Health Champion training: please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Training courses are available for 8-16 delegates per course.
MHFA - Best Practice workplace guidance
Please note: Organisations accredited on the London Healthy Workplace Award and/or signed up to the Time to Change employer pledge are eligible for a discount on training.
Time to Change Pledge
What is the Time to Change Employer Pledge?
The Time to Change Employer Pledge signals your commitment to changing how you think and act about mental health in the workplace and make sure that employees who are facing these problems feel supported.
By signing the Pledge you will join a growing movement of more than 450 employers in England across all sectors from FTSE 100 companies and leading retailers to Government departments and local authorities, including The Royal Borough of Kingston Council.
How does the Employer Pledge work?
Time to Change will work with you to develop an action plan to get your employees talking about mental health. This could include actions such as running events for World Mental Health Day, supporting the Time to Change Kingston hub local initiatives, and training line managers so they feel comfortable having conversations about mental health with their line reports.
Once your action plan has been finalised, Time to Change will send you a pledge board that a senior leader can sign in front of your employees to mark your commitment.