Street naming and numbering

Guide to naming a building

Buildings are named to make locating them easier, particularly in large developments. It is the council policy to number properties wherever possible. However, blocks of flats and commercial offices may be assigned a name as well as a number.

The definition of 'building' in the context of this guidance about naming is not intended to refer to single dwellings.

Whilst it is no longer council policy to assign names to most residential properties, you can use an unofficial name but it won’t form part of your official address.

When a building name is required, we will need a list of at least 3 choices, preferably with a local historical connection.

All new building names should end with one of the following:

  • 'Apartments' may be used for residential buildings
  • 'Court' may be used for residential or commercial buildings
  • 'Heights' may be used for residential or commercial buildings
  • 'House' may be used for residential or commercial buildings
  • 'Lodge' may be used for residential or commercial buildings
  • 'Mansions' may be used for residential buildings
  • 'Point' may be used for high residential buildings
  • 'Tower' may be used for high residential or commercial buildings

No building name should start with 'The'.

Experience has shown that naming buildings after people can sometimes be highly contentious and in the past have caused controversy.  For that reason, we would never consider naming a building after a person, unless they have been deceased for a period of at least fifty years or more.

Aesthetically unsuitable names should be avoided such as ''Tip House', as should names that are capable of deliberate misinterpretation such as 'Swag House' etc.

Commercial premises might be prefixed with the word UNIT as deemed appropriate by the council, but will not be named after the business occupying the premises, e.g. Nandos House etc.

New building names

New building names should not duplicate any existing building name or similar name already in use within the borough, so Martin House if Martin Court was already in use.

Pronunciation of names

Building names should not be difficult to pronounce or awkward to spell.

Avoid having two phonetically similar sounding names in the local area, including neighbouring boroughs, e.g. Churchill House and Birchill House.

Confusing names

Avoid names open to misinterpretation like Tennis Court and Steven Boulevard.

‘Royal’ useage

The word ‘Royal’ should not be used in building naming without written consent from the Lord Chamberlain's Office.

Renaming a building

The council has powers under the London Building Acts (Amendment) Act 1939-Part II, to rename any building(s), but we normally only consider a request to rename an existing building(s) when the address has caused problems for the occupiers, emergency services, Royal Mail or other delivery companies.

In the event of a third party submitting a request to change the name of an existing building(s), we would seek approval from 80% of freeholders impacted.

In all cases we would hold a 30 day consultation with the people affected and the emergency services.  However, all associated costs with deeds and land registry changes are to be met by the customer.

Last Modified: 12/04/2024 11:23:32