Freedom Passes

Criteria for issuing passes to disabled persons

Applicants may automatically obtain a Freedom Pass if they can provide proof that they qualify under any of the following criteria

People who are blind or partially sighted

We will issue you with a Freedom Pass under this heading if you are registered or registerable as blind, or partially sighted. You would need to provide confirmation by producing your CVI (BD8) form from an ophthalmologist.

Deaf people

You will be eligible if you are profoundly or severely deaf. Confirmation by your GP or consultant audiologist will be required.

You will not be eligible for a Freedom Pass if you are registered as hard of hearing.

Without speech

If you are unable to make clear basic oral requests. You will be required to provide medical evidence to support the application.

If you have a disability or injury which has a long term effect on your ability to walk causing you to walk with excessive labour

It may be necessary to seek medical evidence that your walking ability is permanently impaired.

You will qualify automatically if you receive the following benefits for which eligibility is based on walking ability.

  • The higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) awarded for at least 12 months from the date of application.
  • The mobility component of the personal independence payment (PIP) War pensioners mobility supplement. Letters of entitlement must be produced.

If you have long term loss of the use of both arms

Medical evidence is required to support your application.

People with a learning disability

To qualify under this category your disability will have started before adulthood.

You will qualify if you can travel safely but you are unable to buy a ticket either because you have serious communication difficulty and you cannot say where you want to go or because you are unable to use money.

Written confirmation will be required.

If you applied for a driving licence under the Road Traffic Act your application would be refused on the grounds of medical fitness (excluding persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol)

Those currently barred from holding a licence include people with:

  • A severe mental disorder
  • Epilepsy (unless it is of a type that does not pose a danger)

You will need to provide evidence of refusal If you have not had a driving licence refused or revoked, evidence will be required to prove that you are medically not fit to drive

Age limits

Adults and children over the age of 5 who meet the criteria can apply

Older persons pass

These passes are issued in line with the new Pensions Reform Act and you can apply via


Your permanent place of residence must be within the Royal Borough of Kingston.

Permanent disability

Freedom Passes are issued in line with the central principle of the Equalities Act 2010.

The types of disability that enable people to claim the statutory minimum are those which are permanent or which have lasted at least 12 months and which have a substantial effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day to day activities.

Discretionary eligibility

You may be entitled to a Freedom Pass if you have a severe and enduring mental health issue and are under either the NHS Mental Health Team or the Mental Health Social Care Team. Supporting evidence will be required. 

Applying for a disabled freedom pass

If you have an eligible disability, you may be able to get a disabled person's freedom pass by completing the disabled person's freedom pass application form. 

Please note from the date your application is received it can take up to 12 weeks to process. 

Disabled person's freedom passes application form.

Please return the form to:

Concessionary Travel Team,
Customer Experience,
High Street,
Kingston Upon Thames,

Should you require any assistance please call us on 020 8547 5005 or email

Please see the London Council's website for information on the Disabled Persons Freedom Pass (external link).


Last Modified: 30/09/2022 14:59:25