Self Isolating Support Payments
If, from 28 September 2020 onwards, you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or because you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.
If you are eligible you will receive a £500 self isolating support payment.
This scheme will initially run until 31 January 2021. Any claims need to be made within 14 days of the end of the self isolation period. It will be open to anyone who has been asked to self isolate from 28 September onwards and who fulfills the following criteria.
Who is eligible?
People who have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate will be entitled to a self-isolation payment providing they:
- Comply with the notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate
- Are employed or self-employed
- Are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, and
- Are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Pension Credit
Who is not eligible?
You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:
- Are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period).
- Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate.
- Can work from home during a period of self-isolation.
- Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate.
Can I help someone else make an application, or make an application on their behalf?
You can help someone else fill out an application, or fill out an application on their behalf. However, you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else; payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.
How can someone claim if they don’t have internet access and friends/family are unable to help?
You can contact the council’s benefits team on 020 8547 5001 from Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. You will be offered a callback by an officer who will make the online application on your behalf. Please see below for details of the information you will need to have to hand when you receive the callback. You will need to supply supporting documents before your claim is processed.
Before you start
You will need the following information to complete this form:
- A copy of your latest bank statement (one issued within the last two months which must clearly show proof of earnings); a bank statement will need to be provided to confirm which account the support payment should be paid into
- Proof of self-employment e.g. recent business bank statement (within the last two months), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns;
- Notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (this will include a unique ID number)
- Your National Insurance Number
What am I required to do?
If you receive a self-isolation payment you must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace.
Please visit the NHS website for more details of the NHS Test and Trace self-isolation requirements for those
- testing positive and
- those who have been in contact with someone who has tested positive and has now been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace
You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to obtain these payments, including failure to self-isolate which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.
The Government is supporting Local Councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.
The information you submit here will be processed by Kingston Council. We need your consent so that we can access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you are eligible for the Self-Isolation Payment Scheme.
You can find more information on this via the NHS Test and Trace Privacy Notice
We will carry out checks with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for verification purposes, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), for tax and national insurance purposes, and with your employer. We will not share your data with other organisations or individuals outside of the Council for any other purpose.
We will provide information to HMRC about any payments we make because Self-Isolation Payments are subject to Tax and National Insurance Contributions. If you are self-employed, you will need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.
We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent. All information is processed in accordance with the Council’s data protection policy.
If you wish to request any changes to the way your data is used for the purposes of processing this application, including the withdrawal of consent, you can exercise your rights under GDPR in writing to the Council’s Data Protection Officer as detailed here.
If you do withdraw your consent, we will not be able to continue payments to you. Your consent is necessary to establish your eligibility and to authorise any payments made.
In submitting an application you must confirm that you have read, understood and consented to your data being processed in this way for the purposes of assessing your eligibility for a Self-Isolation Payment.