Changing schools in-year
If you have moved into the area and need a school place for your child, you will need to complete an In-year application for a primary or secondary school. Please read the ‘Admission to a Kingston school as an in-year transfer’ brochure before making your application which sets out the application process and your responsibilities as the applicant.
The ‘Kingston’s infant, junior, primary and secondary schools brochure’ provides information about all the state-funded schools in the borough. Please note that if you apply for school places during the school holidays, it may not be possible to confirm your child’s place until the schools have reopened and all pupils return to school. The date when children return will vary from school to school but we will be in contact with you as soon as we can confirm a school place for your child.
If your child is already in school and you're considering transferring him or her to another school, it could be difficult. Places will have already been allocated and availability will be limited. A child's education usually benefits most when they have continuity of teaching and learning in the same school. We need your child's Headteacher to know your reasons for wanting to transfer your child and have the opportunity to discuss the transfer with you.
If you would like your child to transfer to another school, you should:
- discuss it with the Headteacher of your child's current school
- complete the in-year application form
- Send the Headteacher a link to the Pupil Information Form to be completed
You should not withdraw your child from their current school until you have secured a place at an alternative school.
Apply for in-year admission
In-year admission applications are coordinated by Achieving for Children on behalf of state-funded Kingston schools.
- Please apply by completing the appropriate academic year form below and sending the supporting documentation relevant to your circumstances to firstname.lastname@example.org
- It may not be possible to provide an outcome for an in-year application for September 2023 entry for a number of weeks after schools return in September as schools have a legal responsibility to ensure the child who has left is on roll at another school before they can be reallocated. Please be prepared that it is likely that your child may not start school at the beginning of term if they do not currently have a school place.
Apply for admission to Years 7 to 11 (academic year 2022/23)
To apply for admission to Years 7 to 11 for the current academic year complete the secondary in-year application form.
Secondary in year application form
Apply for admission to Reception to Year 6 (academic year 2022/23)
To apply for admission to Reception to Year 6 for the current academic year, complete the primary in-year application form.
Primary in year application form
In-year admissions for entry in September 2023
Applications for admission into Reception, Year 3 in a junior school, or Year 7 in September 2023 must be made using the eAdmissions website
Apply for admission to Years 8 to 11
To apply for admission to Years 8 to 11 for September 2023 entry, complete the secondary in-year application form
Secondary in year application form 2023/23
Apply for admission to Years 1 to 6
To apply for admission to Years 1 to 6 for September 2023 entry, complete the primary in-year application form.
Primary in year application form 2023
It may not be possible to provide an outcome of your application for a number of weeks after schools return in September as vacancies must be confirmed before they can be reallocated.