Creating our new Local Plan
What should Kingston look like in 20 years’ time? We’re in the process of creating a new Local Plan for Kingston. Our new plan will set the vision and policies for the future and guide what development goes where, from homes and workplaces to schools, medical centres, parks and much more, while protecting and enhancing our heritage and natural environment.
This is our Local Plan for our borough. Now is the time to share your thoughts and ideas with us and help shape the future of Kingston.
- take part on our online engagement portal
- email the team your ideas: [email protected]
- post your feedback to: Strategic Planning Team, Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, Guildhall 2, High Street, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 1EU
- call our freephone call-back service if you need any help: 0800 008 6309
Join us at an event
Come along, say hello and give us your thoughts on how we plan up to 2041, we'll be asking for views on your neighbourhood, housing, the local economy and much more! This is our Local Plan, let's shape it together.
- Saturday 7 August, 10am-4pm - Kingston Market Place, KT1 1JX
- Saturday 14 August, 10am-4pm - New Malden High Street, next to the war memorial, KT3 4HE
- Sunday 15 August, 10am-4pm - Next to Sainsbury’s, Ewell Road, Tolworth, KT6 7AZ
- Thursday 19 August, 10am-4pm - Hook Centre, Hook Road, Chessington, KT9 1EJ
- Friday 20 August, 10am-4pm - Summer of Fun event, next to Kingston Museum, Wheatfield Way, KT1 2PS
- Saturday 21 August, 9am-1pm - Surbiton Farmers’ Market, Maple Road, Surbiton
- Friday 27 August, 10am-4pm - Summer of Fun event, next to Kingston Museum, Wheatfield Way, KT1 2PS
- Saturday 4 September, 9am-2pm - Malden Community Farmers’ Market, New Malden High Street, KT3 4LH
- Sunday 5 September, 11am-3pm - First in Tolworth Market, Tolworth Broadway (opposite Our Lady Immaculate Church), KT6 7HF
- Saturday 11 September, 10am-4pm - Hook Music Centre Launch Event, Hook Centre, Hook Road, Chessington, KT9 1EJ
- Saturday 18 September, 9am-1pm - Surbiton Farmers Market, Maple Road, Surbiton
- Saturday 25 September, 10am-4pm - Surbiton Festival.
So much has happened since we last had a conversation about our new Local Plan in 2019 - the London Plan has come into force and set us a really challenging housing target, COVID-19 has changed the way we all live our lives, the Government has changed
the planning rules and Brexit has happened. As well as all of this, we, as a council, have declared a climate emergency.
The new Local Plan, when adopted, will replace the current Local Plan (called the Core Strategy, 2012). The plan will include policies which will be used to decide whether to approve or refuse planning applications in the borough.
To make sure we create a Local Plan that listens to and reflects the views of communities, an updated Local Development Scheme 2021-2024 timeline was approved by the Culture, Housing, Environment and Planning Committee on 17 March 2021.
Early Engagement - May to July 2019
This first stage of engagement on our new Local Plan took place from 1 May to 31 July 2019. The engagement was carried out in line with Regulation 18 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012.
Thank you for your submissions and input, we captured views in a range of ways. Your feedback is being used to shape the draft Local Plan.