Work begins to transform libraries in Kingston
Kingston Council has begun work to transform all seven libraries, installing new state of the art self service technology and creating flexible community spaces.
Kingston Library will be the first of the seven libraries to reopen on 27 February following a makeover, with improvements including the incorporation of the children’s library into the building. A smaller selection of adults and children’s stock is temporarily based in the existing Children’s Library on Wheatfield Way during the works.
Councillor Andrea Craig, Cabinet Member with responsibility for Heritage, Arts and Leisure at Kingston Council, said:
“This is a hugely exciting project for the borough and the benefits of this investment will be felt for years to come. The transformation work has started with Kingston Library, which is reopening this month, and is already looking fantastic.
“We know that our residents are keen library users, so enhancing these key community spaces is essential. I hope that even more residents and visitors take the opportunity to discover all that is on offer in our newly-transformed libraries.”
Whilst the refurbishment works are taking place, library users will still be able to enjoy and access other libraries across the borough and the schedule of work has been planned so that libraries nearby are open. The programme timeline for the remaining libraries is:
- Tolworth Library - Contractors move in on Monday 13 February and the library will reopen on Tuesday 28 February (alternative libraries: Surbiton and Hook).
- Old Malden Library - The works start on Monday 27 February and the library will reopen on Monday 13 March (alternative library: New Malden).
- Hook Library - The contractors move in on Monday 6 March and the library will reopen on Tuesday 28 March (alternative libraries: Tolworth and Surbiton).
- New Malden Library - Works begin on Monday 20 March and the library will reopen on Monday 3 April (alternative libraries: Old Malden and Kingston).
- Surbiton Library - The contractors move in on Monday 27 March and will reopen on Monday 10 April (alternative libraries: Kingston and Tolworth).
- Tudor Drive Library - The contractors move in to Tudor Drive Library on Monday 3 April and will reopen on Tuesday 2 May (alternative library: Kingston Library).
For more information, visit the library transformation webpage.