Street parties

Applying to host a street party

  • you will need to complete our initial enquiry form to host a street party event. You will be asked to include evidence of at least 75% support from neighbours who will be affected by the road closure. 
  • your enquiry will be reviewed and we will send advice and guidance on your next steps
  • we will then issue you with a confirmation letter and a copy of the temporary traffic regulation order (TTRO) for the road closure

Frequently asked questions about street parties

Who do I need to consult? 

We can provide guidance if required. We recommend you consult with all households that would be affected by the road closure, including those houses outside of the immediate footprint. The evidence you collect needs to provide the name, signature, address and comments from each neighbour. 
We understand that not every household welcomes the idea of a street party, we encourage communities to discuss any concerns, think of practical solutions and resolve between neighbours but the council can help mediate.  

What does it cost? 

There is currently no charge for holding a street party within the borough providing these events are for neighbours and residents only. There is a different process for organising larger public events.

How long does it take to process an application?

We aim to process applications as quickly as possible, but please allow at least 8 weeks notice.

Do I need insurance?

We recommend that you purchase public liability insurance cover for a small residential street party. For further advice visit the Street Party Site. The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames will not be held responsible for any damage to property, or injury to any person arising from or in connection with the street party, or other event.

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

In most cases you do not need a risk assessment plan for small street parties, but it is a good idea to think about how you can minimise risks and have a back-up plan. For example:

  • what to do if there was extreme weather (e.g. hot, cold or wet)
  • use of reusable plastic plates and cups rather than glass
  • making sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque
  • slip, trip and fall hazards

Do I need an alcohol licence?

No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you need a Temporary Event Notice.

Do I need an entertainment licence?

No, you will not need an entertainment licence if:

  • your street party is private for residents only
  • the music is not advertised in advance to attract people (live or recorded)
  • you are not making money

Do I need a permit to serve food?

No, you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich, or bring food to share with one another. The Food Standards Agency provides a guide for businesses on food hygiene, which organisers of street parties may find helpful.

Do I need to clean up afterwards?

Yes, you will need to clean up after your play street. Let people know in advance what time the play street will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling. Take your rubbish and recycling home. If you have too much recycling to store at home, you can take it to the Household Reuse and Recycling Centre (HRRC) off Villiers Road. Please do not leave bin bags on the streets as this may attract foxes and vermin.

Where can I order signs? 

We may be able to help you access a sign for your road closure. You may also find the playingout and big lunch websites helpful.

Guidelines for street parties

If your application to hold a street party is approved, you will need to follow these guidelines:

  • Allow all residents and emergency services access to the road
  • The area of the party must be solely confined to the closed section of the road only
  • Do not place anything on the highway that cannot be immediately removed in case of an emergency (including tents or marquees)
  • Bonfires, barbecues or mobile cookers are not permitted on the street. If you are planning one this must be within a private garden. 
  • Bunting across the road must be at least five metres high
  • All fire hydrant covers must be kept clear and unobstructed
  • The foot, or pathway must be kept clear at all times for pedestrians and cyclists (on foot) passing through the area
  • Any road closure, or direction signs on the highway must be visible, obvious, and these must be adequately lit at dusk or after dark
  • Signs will be needed for your road closure. Guidance on signs.  
  • Any overspill of parking onto nearby streets needs to be avoided where at all possible
  • All ‘bouncy castles’ and other children’s play equipment must be appropriately anchored and supervised at all times
  • Noise needs to be kept to reasonable levels, especially later in the evening
  • The party and music must finish promptly at the time agreed
  • The street and any waste needs to be cleared and all signs and rubbish removed

Last Modified: 26/10/2023 15:33:32