Requests for CCTV images
Requests to view CCTV data are likely to be made under the Schedule 2 of Data Protection Act 2018 by third parties for any one or more of the following purposes:
- Providing evidence in criminal proceedings (Schedule 2 Part 1 5(3))
- Providing evidence in civil proceedings or tribunals (Schedule 2 Part 1 5(3))
- Prevention of crime (Schedule 2 Part 1 2(1))
- Investigation and detection of crime (may include identification of offenders) (Schedule 2 Part 1 2(1))
- Identification of witnesses. (Schedule 2 Part 1 2(1))
Third parties must show adequate grounds for disclosure of data within the above criteria. Third parties may include, but are not limited to:
- Statutory authorities with powers to prosecute, (e.g. Customs and Excise; Trading Standards, etc.)
- Claimants in civil proceedings
- Accused persons or defendants in criminal proceedings
- Other agencies with a genuine purpose
There will be a Search and Release fee:
- Search fee: £204 +VAT
- Release fee: Up to 1 hour - £228.00 +VAT; Up to 1.5 hours - £282.00 +VAT; 2 to 8 hours - £336.00 +VAT
There are two payment processes available:
Requests are processed from point of payment, for credit card payments this will be an automatic process. BAC’s payment requests will be invoiced and a search will be undertaken upon receipt of payment. If the request is time critical please email [email protected], with the subject header ‘Urgent BAC’s payment request and your reference number’. We will contact you to confirm if a search can be conducted in advance of payment. Once you have completed the BAC’s payment process, you are committed to this request and no confirmation or acknowledgement of available footage will be confirmed until the correct fees have been received.
Individual subject access under data protection legislation
You have a right to obtain a copy of CCTV footage that shows you. This is called a Subject Access Request (SAR).
More information is available on the Council website, please read that before making a subject access request. You will need to provide:
- two official certified documents, which together show your name, date of birth and current address
- a recent full face photo of you
- details of the footage you want to see, for example, the date, time and location
To make a request please contact [email protected]
For CCTV subject access requests, we will usually only provide footage of the person making the request unless all other individuals who may be identified from the same information have consented to the disclosure or it is appropriate in all the circumstances to release the footage without their consent.
All other personal data which may allow the identification of any other person should be concealed or erased and third party data will only be released without third party consent where the council considers it appropriate to do so in the circumstances of the case.
We will not be able to provide footage if insufficient or inaccurate information is provided so we cannot identify the footage. Where it is not appropriate to release third party data, we will see if footage can be concealed or erased to allow a disclosure. If that is not possible we will make reasonable efforts for example providing a description of the CCTV footage and what is shown. Each request is treated on its own merit.