Can we help you?

If you’re homeless or about to lose your home, we can help you to:

  • stay in your home, or
  • find somewhere else to live.

We may also help you if all of the following apply:

  • you are eligible for help
  • you are homeless or likely to lose your home within 56 days
  • you are or someone in your household is in priority need
  • you haven’t made yourself homeless intentionally.

We will also look to see if you have a connection with this area.

Complete the housing advice form

How to get help from the council

In order for the Council to assist you, please fill out the Housing Advice form prior to visiting the council, unless your situation is urgent. Please make sure you fill out the form in one sitting as you will not be able to save your information and fill out the form later.

Once you have filled out the form a Housing Options Officer will be in touch with you. 

You can also get advice about help for homeless people on the Shelter website.

How to contact the council for help

If you’re homeless or about to lose your home, you can contact us for help. Any help we offer - if any - will depend on your circumstances.

You can contact us on 020 8547 5003 and ask to speak to a Housing Advice and Options Officer. We will try to help you keep your home or offer a private letting. If this is not possible, we will advise you of your options. This may include an appointment with a Homeless Assessment Officer. You will be offered an appointment time which is dependent on your personal circumstances.

What happens at your appointment

At the appointment, the officer will interview you to see whether you meet the criteria for emergency accommodation. The officer may then ask for you to be provided with emergency accommodation while we look into your application (this could be bed and breakfast or a place in a council hostel).

We will write and let you know if we can help you with temporary accommodation once our investigations have ended. If we can help, you may then be moved to temporary accommodation until settled housing has been secured. This may be temporary private housing where we are your landlord.

If we can’t help you, we’ll let you stay where you are for a short time. We can also give you advice on finding somewhere to live.

What happens next

If you’re entitled to help, we will update your entry on the Housing Register. Homeless households are placed into Band 3. Automatic bids will be placed on your behalf for any suitable properties that become available.  You can also bid for properties.

We may also offer you a Private Rented Sector Offer instead of a home through the Housing Register. This is a private sector letting where you are directly renting from the landlord.

Suffering violence at home

If you are homeless because you are suffering violence at home, contact us immediately on 020 8547 5003 and ask to speak to a Homeless Assessment Officer.