What is happening when?
February construction work
Fairfield Rd to Ashdown Rd
- Works continue through February on the road section between Fairfield Rd and Ashdown Rd.
- During these works there will be traffic management measures in place on northbound and southbound lanes on Wheatfield Way.
- During the current works outside the library (junction of Fairfield Road and Wheatfield Way), changes to the traffic management will happen. Due to space limitations while working in this area Fairfield Road can temporarily been made an exit only junction. Vehicles wishing to gain access to Fairfield Road and the streets off may need to go via Orchard Road and Fairfield West. We aim to have this junction fully open by mid-February.
Ashdown Road to Brook Street
- Works will progress on creation of the cycle lanes along the east side of Wheatfield Way.
- Adjustments to the paved areas and carriageway between Orchard Road and Brook Street will be made to accommodate the new lanes.
- The crossing at Orchard Road will be closed from 21 January as works progress on this section, and are estimated to re-open in mid-February (weather permitting).
- This will complete the final section of the Wheatfield Way scheme, and will connect with the new Penrhyn Road scheme at College roundabout.
We apologise for any inconvenience these works may cause. Motorists and pedestrians are asked to follow the signed diversions, and advised to allow extra time to travel through the town centre. The town remains open for business, but drivers may experience some delays during peak periods.
You can find out more about borough-wide roadworks here.
You can also subscribe to receive borough-wide traffic updates.
Photos showing the Wheatfield Way scheme before, during and after