Adult safeguarding – helping adults at risk

Safeguarding adults at risk from abuse and neglect

Please note: these pages contain information aimed at members of the public. If you are a professional (i.e. nurse, social worker) looking for advice and guidance, you should visit our Working within adult safeguarding pages. 

Where can abuse happen?

Abuse or neglect can take place anywhere. It could take place at home, at work, in hospital, in a nursing or residential care home or anywhere else in the community.

Do not stay silent

Abuse is not your fault. No one has the right to abuse you. Please speak up if you or someone you know is at risk of, or experiencing abuse. If you're not sure what's ahppening to someone but you are concerned and would liek some advice, please contact us.

What you can do

If you or someone you know is being abuse or neglected, you can contact the council at any time.

Call the Access and Safeguarding Team during office hours on 020 8547 5005. After 5pm please call 020 8770 5000

In an emergency always call 999




If you are not sure what adult safeguarding is and whether it affects you or your family see - What is adult safeguarding?

We have further information for those suffering from domestic abuse - Domestic and sexual violence - get help.

If you are concerned about a child see - Safeguarding children.