If you are aged 18 and over and live in the borough, our Sight and Hearing Service can offer help if you’re concerned about your eyesight, whether you’re registered with us as visually impaired or not.
We can provide services and support to help you maintain or regain your independence and we can visit you at home to talk to you and your family or carer about how your sight loss is affecting you in your everyday life. This is called an assessment.
If your assessment shows we can help, we may:
- talk to you about your eye condition
- discuss the benefits of registration
- provide equipment on specialist equipment e.g talking clocks, task lighting and kitchen gadgets
- help you to find alternatives to print e.g. audio services
- provide advice on accessible technology
- advice on magnifiers
- advice on lighting
- give advice and support on all aspects of mobility from the safest place to cross a road to full mobility training with a long cane
- suggest travel options like Freedom Travel Passes, Taxi cards, and Blue Badge parking permits
- provide information about local and national organisations related to visual impairments