Living in your own home and remaining safe, independent and comfortable can be made much easier by making changes to your surroundings that suit your needs.
When a person with a disability or health problems experiences difficulty in getting about safely and independently in their home, changes can be made which will help them to overcome the problem and make their home more suitable to their needs. You may have heard of people who have installed a stair lift, ramp or accessible shower in their home.
Older people and people with disabilities or health problems can be more vulnerable than others to extremes of hot and cold weather, and to damp conditions. To help them to stay healthy their home needs to be healthy too. Of course all of this costs money.
Assistance can also be required if you are struggling to keep on top of odd jobs and DIY around the home, for example changing a light bulb, redecorating your home, or tackling an overgrown garden.
This section provides information on how you might go about adapting your home to suit your needs, and ensuring it remains in a healthy, safe and good condition. You'll also find advice on how you might be able to get help to pay for these things.
Equipment to help at home
Special equipment may be available to help you with everyday tasks eg:
- moving round your home
If you're caring for someone who is having these difficulties, having the right equipment in place can make your work easier and safer. Please view our occupational therapy pages in order to see how we can help.
Advice on equipment
Local pharmacies or GPs often have brochures to help you choose home equipment. You can also try:
- Disabled Living Foundation for impartial advice on independent living
- Living Made Easy for advice on daily living equipment
- AskSARA to work out which equipment is best for you
Choose and buy equipment
Local services you can visit for ideas and prices:
- Additional Aids - showroom, equipment to hire
- Careful Mobility - equipment to hire, home visits and handy person service
- Lifelong Healthcare - showroom, equipment to hire and handy person service
- Opt-4-Mobility - equipment to hire, home visits and handy person service
- Stable and Able - showroom, stair lift service
- Staywell - handy person service
- Connected Kingston online support directory - search the directory for services near you