Children Bikeability Level 1 and Level 2
Our School Bikeability programme will resume in September 2020.
Please contact your primary school who will organise courses and send registration details.
School Bikeability Booking Form (When prompted by your school)
Cycle skills for children follows the Bikeability programme, the national standard cycle training for children.
Term time school Bikeability courses are:
- for those in school years 5 and 6
- arranged with the school.
Holiday Bikeability courses are:
- take place during the school holidays
- for children in Year 5 or above at the time of booking
- for children who either live or attend schools in the borough of Kingston
- offered on a first come first served basis, so early applications are advisable once the dates have been announced
About the courses
Our course usually runs for 2 days over one week, for two hours each day.
- bike checks
- control skills
- highway code
- on-road cycling on quiet public roads
Riders are assessed on bicycle control, general road awareness and the ability to make simple journeys managing parked cars and junctions with other road users.
Children who complete the course receive a Bikeability badge and certificate recognising their achievement. Your child will be given feedback on their progress in the following topics:
- Identify and respond to hazards
- Start and stop on-road journeys
- Maintain suitable riding positions
- Share the road with others and communicate with other road users
- Comply with signals, signs and road markings
- Negotiate junctions (pass side roads, turn at T junctions, and crossroads and roundabouts if present).
Six months to one year after completing Bikeability Level 2, children can complete a more advanced Bikeability Level 3 course as part of a family session.