Children Bikeability Level 1 and Level 2
Our cycle training programme is suspended until further notice. To be informed when we are running it again please add your name to our waiting list below.
Cycle skills for children follows the Bikeability programme, the national standard cycle training for children.
Term time school Bikeability courses are:
- for those in school years 5 and 6
- arranged with the school.
Holiday Bikeability courses are:
- takes place during the school holidays
- for children in Year 5 or above at the time of booking
- for children who either live or attend schools in the borough of Kingston
- offered on a first come first served basis, so early applications are advisable once the dates have been announced
About the courses
A course usually runs for 4 or 5 days (depending on the number of children), Monday to Friday, for two hours each day.
- bike checks
- control skills
- highway code
- on-road cycling on quiet public roads
Trainees are assessed on bicycle control, general road awareness and the ability to make simple journeys managing parked cars and junctions with other road users.
On the final day of the course, we run a multiple choice quiz to assess trainees understanding of the Highway Code.
Children who complete the course receive a Bikeability badge and certificate at Level 1 or Level 2. Trainees awarded a Bikeability Level 2 certificate and badge have shown that their cycling is of a satisfactory standard to cycle independently on quiet roads. We recommend the Bikeability Level 2 training to those who achieved Bikeability Level 1.
Six months to one year after completing Bikeability Level 2, children are entitled to complete a more advanced Bikeability Level 3 course.