Cycle skills for children (Level 1 and Level 2)
Cycle skills for children follows the Bikeability programme, the national standard cycle training for children.
Term time school Bikeability courses are:
- for those in school years five and six
- arranged with the school. You must contact or get an invitation from your school before filling our Registration Form.
Holiday Bikeability courses are:
- for children in Year five or above at the time of booking
- for children who either live or attend schools in the borough of Sutton
- offered on a first come first served basis, so early applications are advisable once the dates have been announced
- we will run Level 1 and 2 Courses in the Summer holidays, to register please join Summer Holiday Level 1 & 2 Waiting List
- to check dates and places available please go to the registration form which course would your child like to attend? select choose
- If your child cannot make the Easter sessions then please add them on to the
About the courses
A course usually runs four to five days, Monday to Friday, for two hours each day.
- bike checks
- control skills
- highway Code
- on-road cycling on quiet public roads
Trainees are assessed on bicycle control, general road awareness and the ability to make simple journeys managing parked cars and junctions with other road users.
On the final day of the course, we run a multiple choice quiz to assess trainee ' s understanding of the Highway Code.
Children who complete the course receive a Bikeability badge and certificate at Level 1 or Level 2. Trainees awarded a Bikeability Level 2 certificate and badge have shown that their cycling is of a satisfactory standard to cycle to independently on quiet roads. We recommend and can provide further Bikeability Level 2 training to those who have only achieved Bikeability Level 1.
Six months to one year after completing Bikeability Level 2, children are entitled to complete an advanced Bikeability Level 3 course. We'll contact you about the course - or you can email us to find out more.
Schools in Kingston and Sutton can also receive scooter training for children in Years 1 and 2. The training, which is delivered by accredited cycling instructors, not only increases skills but also improves confidence, awareness and consideration of other pavement users. Courses are set up according to demand from individual schools, so please enquire with your school or contact us.