Changes to your circumstances

Going away or going to hospital

Going away

If you go away from home let us know before you leave. You may still get Housing benefit and Council Tax reduction for up to 13 weeks as long as:  

  • you are not away for more than 13 weeks
  • you intend to return home
  • whilst you are away you do not let or sub-let the part of your home where you normally live

If you are away from Great Britain for more than four weeks, your Housing benefit will stop.

There are exceptions if you are in hospital or held in custody on remand.

Going to hospital

If you or a member of your family is in hospital for less than a year (up to 52 weeks), your Housing benefit and Council Tax reduction will not change. After a year the person in hospital is no longer entitled to any Housing benefit or Council Tax reduction. However, if the person in hospital has a partner, their partner may be able to claim benefits in their own name.

So tell us about the change now using our online form. You’ll need to register and create an account with us if you haven’t already done so.