Discounts and exemptions on Council Tax

Single person discount

Am I entitled to a single person discount?

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a home. If you live with someone who does not need to pay Council Tax then you may get a discount on your bill. 

Read our page 'Am I entitled to a discount?' to check whether you can ask for a discount on your Council Tax bill.

Review your single person discount 

If you have been receiving the single person discount, once every year we will ask you to confirm that you are still the only paying adult living in your home. You will receive a letter that asks you to use our online form to confirm your circumstances. When using the online review form:

  • you'll need a Kingston online account 
  • your first step will be to login or create an account
  • you may need your Council Tax account number to hand

The online review form only appears at certain times of the year, we'll send you a letter to let you know when it's time. 

Claim or remove your single person discount

You can claim a single person's discount if you are the only person aged 18 or over living at an address. If you have been receiving the single person discount but are no longer the only paying adult living in your home – you can remove the discount online.