Discounts and exemptions on Council Tax

Am I entitled to a discount?

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a home. If you live with someone who does not need to pay Council Tax then you may get a discount on your bill. So count the number of adults who live in your home as their main home. But do not count anyone who is in one of the groups below.

People that may get a Council Tax discount are:

  • anyone under 18
  • those on apprentice schemes
  • 18 and 19-year-olds who are in full-time education
  • full-time college and university students
  • young people under 25 who receive funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
  • student nurses
  • foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • people who have a severe mental disability
  • live-in carers who look after someone who is not their partner, spouse or child (up to 18 years)  
  • diplomats - someone with diplomatic privilege or immunity who is not a British citizen

How many are left in your household?

Once you've accounted for anyone in your household that fits into one of the groups above, how many people are left? 

Two or more people 
You will not be entitled to a discount.

One person
You may be entitled to a single person discount. Your Council Tax bill could be reduced by 25 per cent. You can apply online for a single person discount.

No one that needs to pay Council Tax
You may be entitled to a 100 per cent discount. If everyone in your household is a full-time student, your bill will be reduced by 100 per cent. To find out more about what counts as a full-time college or university student and apply for a student discount, see our page on Students.
If you are not a student, you can use our online form 'Apply for other discounts' to tell us why you could be entitled to this discount.

Other discounts - disabled people, diplomats, empty homes and second homes

Our pages describe other discounts and exemptions that may apply to you - including those for disabled people, empty homes and second homes.