Privacy statement

Adult Social Care

Privacy Notice for the Adult Social Care Department

This privacy notice is to be read in conjunction with the full privacy notice.

This privacy notice sets out how the Adult Social Care Department at the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames will use and process your information. 

What type of information is collected about you?

  • contact details; including name, address, email address, telephone number
  • date of birth
  • national identifiers such as; NHS number and NI numbers
  • information about your family and people who care for you, 
  • information about people who you care for
  • Information about people who might legally represent you (for example, a Lasting Power of Attorney or Deputy appointed by the Court of Protection)
  • IP address and information regarding what pages are accessed and when
  • lifestyle, social and personal circumstances
  • the services you receive
  • financial details for purposes of receiving or making payments and calculating how much you might have to pay towards some services we provide or organise for you
  • employment details 
  • housing information relating to the type of property you live in, whether you own or rent it, and whether it is suitable for your needs. 
  • visual images, personal appearance and behaviour

We may also collect sensitive personal data that may include:

  • physical or mental health details
  • details about help you might need looking after yourself or your house
  • racial or ethnic origin
  • gender and sexual orientation
  • Languages you speak and how you prefer to communicate
  • offences (including alleged offences)
  • religious or other beliefs of a similar nature
  • criminal proceedings, outcomes and sentences
  • sections of the Mental Health Acts that may have applied to you

We need your information for the following services and functions:

Your information will be used for the  functions of the Adult Social Care Department . The services we provide are:

  • Social Care Information, Advice and Support

  • Social Care Assessments 
  • Mental Health Act Assessments
  • Carers Assessments
  • Occupational Therapy and Disabled Facilities Grants Assessments
  • Safeguarding Adults Services
  • Care services delivered directly by the Council
  • Management of care services provided by other organisations and businesses providing care
  • Occupational Therapy Equipment
  • Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Assessments
  • Provision of Blue Badges

Who your information may be shared with:
We may share some of your information, for example your name and address, internally with other departments in the Council if this:

  • helps you to access services more easily
  • promotes the more efficient and cost effective delivery of services
  • helps recover monies owed to the council

We are required by law to participate in National Fraud Initiative (NFI) data matching exercises. Adult Social Care  information may be provided to the Audit Commission for NFI purposes and will be used for cross-system and cross-authority comparison for fraud prevention and detection.

We may also share some information with other staff or businesses who do not work for us but are involved in providing support to you. This may include, for example, your GP, an assessor for deprivation of liberty safeguards, care homes or other care providers. 

We work very closely with a number of organisations and ask them to provide some services for us. We will share your information with those organisations so that they can work effectively. These organisations are Kingston Carers Network (who carry out some carers assessments on our behalf); Access Independent (who carry out some occupational therapy assessments) and Yourhealthcare CIC (who provide services to maximise people’s independence).

We also work closely with Achieving for Children (the provider of statutory services for children in Kingston), either to provide support to people with young families, or where young people with social care needs may need support after their 18th birthday. We will pass information to Achieving for Children so that they can work effectively.

Where there are urgent issues of safety, we may pass information onto other statutory agencies, such as the NHS, police or fire service.

The Kingston Care Record

We are working ever more closely with other health professionals and care agencies in Kingston. This is because Kingston Council and Kingston Health and Wellbeing Board believe it will have many benefits for local people in managing their health and social care needs in a joined-up, efficient way. To help with this, we and local NHS agencies have created a shared database called the Kingston Care Record. 

The Kingston Care Record contains a summary of your health and social care information from your GP, Community health services, Mental health services, Kingston Hospital and Kingston Council’s Adult Social Care Services. 

By sharing information in this way, your doctor, nurse or social worker will be able to offer you the best care and support quickly and safely, especially in an emergency situation. You won’t be asked the same questions over and over again or have to keep repeating your medical or social care history. Doctors, nurses and social workers will be able to work better together and make the best decisions with you through access to the right information when they need it.

To make sure we link your social care records with your NHS records in the Kingston Care Record, we use your NHS Number because this number is unique to you.

You can find out more about the Kingston Care Record at You can also find information there about how to opt out of the Kingston Care Record. if you do opt out, your information may still be shared with your GP, Community health services, Mental health services, Kingston Hospital, but by telephone, secure fax, secure email or letter rather than automatically through the Kingston Care Record.

The legal basis for processing your information

The Care Act 2014 sets out the legal basis that applies to the Council’s provision of Adult Social Care. We collect data from you for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority. We also share your information into the Kingston Care Record following the same legal basis. Where the service is optional, we will not process your information until you have consented to receive the service. Once we have your consent for the service, your information will be processed under our statutory authority to provide the service.

How long will we keep your information

We will retain your information for the period in which your information is being used for service provision or for our wider functions including debt collection. In the event of your death, we will keep your records for 3 years, unless we know you have had problems relating to mental health, in which case we will keep your records for 7 years. We will keep financial records relating to any services provided to you for 7 years in all cases. You do not have the right to ask for us to erase the information we keep about you.