Brown food waste caddy and bin
You should have two containers for your food waste collections, a brown kitchen caddy and a brown outdoor food bin. Food waste should not go into your black bin for rubbish.
You can use the smaller brown kitchen caddy inside your home to store any waste food. Many people prefer to line their caddy with a compostable liner but this is not essential. Compostable liners can be found in most supermarkets or you can purchase some from our libraries. Alternatively you can place food in the caddies loose or wrapped in paper or newspaper.
To keep your caddy fresh, empty it into your outdoor food waste bin regularly and rinse it out each time.
Make sure that you lock your outdoor food waste bin to keep pests out and put your bin out for collection each week. If you lock your caddy but still have problems with pests, please order a new outdoor food bin as our current stock has a new button operated locking mechanism.
All food waste can be recycled including:
- cooked food
- raw food
- mouldy food (removed from packaging)
- meat and fish - including bones
- fruit and vegetable peelings and fruit stones and cores
- tea bags and coffee grounds
- bread, rice, cake and pasta
- plate scrapings and leftovers
- pet food
- cut flowers
Did you know?
- a lot of food waste can also be composted in your garden (but not cooked food waste, fish, dairy, meat or bones). We provide compost bins at a low rate and advice on how to compost at home through getcomposting.com
- the average family throws away nearly £600 worth of food a year? Visit the Love Food Hate Waste website for information on how to save food and money