Collections from your house

If you live in a house or in a house converted into flats you should have the following containers below. Please click on each contanier to see what should be placed in each bin. 

180 litre black household non-recyclable wheelie bin

240 litre paper and card recycling wheelie bin

240 litre household dry mixed recycling wheelie bin or small green dry mixed recycling box

23 litre brown outdoor food waste bin and 7 litre indoor food waste kitchen caddy

These are all free and you can order as many recycling containers as you need, or replacements for all bins if they get damaged. 

You can also subscribe to the garden waste service, to purchase bins or biodegradable sacks to dispose of your garden waste. 

How it works?

Your bins, boxes and caddies should be placed as close to the front boundary of your property as possible by 6.30am on your correct collection day. This is to ensure safe and easy retrieval for the collection crew.

Image showing how bins should be presented for collection. The correct way being bins should be placed as close to the pavement as possible, without being on it. Bins will not be collected if it is left in your front garden and not at the property boundary.


If bins are not presented at the property boundary, or if you put the wrong items in any bin or box, the crew will refuse collection until the issue has been addressed for your next collection. The crew will leave tags on your bins to provide information as to why your bin might have been missed

If your bin has been missed for these reasons, or you put your bins out on the wrong day or too late, you'll need to:

If we miss one of your bins, and your bin has not been tagged, please let us know by reporting a missed collection within two working days of collection. 

If you have too much recycling, please place this next to your bin or box and it will be collected. If you have too much rubbish, please check that you are recycling all that you can. Crews will not collect additional rubbish - you will need to take this to the Household Reuse and Recycling centre

Help with collections

If you are physically struggling to use, or put your recycling and rubbish containers on the property boundary for collection, and there is no one else in the household who can do this for you, we can provide an assisted collection. 

Please contact us if you feel you qualify for the assisted collection service. 

Houses not suitable for wheelie bins

Some houses are not suitable or don't have the space for wheelie bins. Your property might not be suitable for wheelie bins if:

  • there is a steep slope between your property and the kerb; or,
  • there are more than three steps between your property and the kerb; or, 
  • your property has no front garden

Where this is the case, please contact us and we will assess your property. If the Council agrees that your property is not suitable for wheelie bins, you may be eligible for our rubbish and recycling sacks collection service.

The sacks collection service comprises of three types of sacks. Please click on each sack below to find out what you can place in there.

Clear paper and card recycling sack for households unsuitable for wheelie bins

Blue dry mixed recycling sack for households unsuitable for wheelie bins

Red non-recyclable rubbish sack for households unsuitable for wheelie bins