Apply to close a road (Temporary Traffic Orders)

If you want a road to be closed or another temporary restriction on vehicles or traffic, you need to apply for our permission. You may want to do this, for example, if you’re holding a street party or carrying out street works. This is known as a Temporary Traffic Order. (TTO).

How to apply


The fee depends on your reason for requesting the road closure:

  • Emergency works: £825
  • Planned works: £1,650

Additional costs

Applicants must organise and pay for any other service we request including:

  • advertising the restrictions in advance to residents
  • the provision of no parking cones, warning signs and covering existing signs

Please note that we do not provide a tow-away service.