Apply to place a mobile crane on the highway

If you want to use a mobile crane on or over the highway, you will require a licence.

Your company must have - and maintain - public liability insurance of £5 million and your crane driver must be accredited.

How to apply

Applicants should be the person who ensures the conditions of the licence are met.

You will need to download, complete and return the application form.  You will also need to enclose with your application:

  • a  copy of the company's insurance policy
  • a copy of the crane driver's accreditation

Please return all completed applications to [email protected]


  • £275 for the first month (including the administration fee) plus £400 refundable deposit
    (Total £675)
  • £275 for any subsequent months this includes weekly inspections of the site

Deductions and refunds

Once the works are completed, we will inspect the site. If there is any damage as a result of the works, an estimate will be sent to you and the full amount will be deducted from the deposit including any additional costs for administration.

All deposits must be reclaimed within one year of completion. They will not be returned after that.

Refunds cannot be given if you are late in extending a licence. A charge of £25 will be made for additional inspections.

Licence conditions

  • the highway must be protected from jacks and stabilisers
  • jacks and stabilisers must not be placed over drainage covers or other statutory authorities' apparatus
  • the crane must be banked at all times
  • care must be taken to avoid overhead wires and cables
  • signing and guarding must conform to Chapter 8
  • you must comply with all the instructions issued to you by the Compliance Team
  • you will be liable for any costs incurred for lane or road closure
  • you will be responsible for any damage to the highway, street furniture and statutory authorities' equipment and apparatus
  • you will be responsible for any damage to private property or claims for personal injury
  • if in doubt contact the Street Works or Compliance Team immediately
  • you must insure the Council against any personal injury claims or damage to property. You must produce public liability insurance for £5 million