Apply to use a crane over the highway

If you want to place or use a crane over the highway you will require a licence.

How to apply

Applicants should be the person who ensures the conditions of the licence are met.

Apply by downloading, completing and returning an application form. You will also need to enclose:

  • A copy of your company’s public liability insurance policy
  • A copy of your crane driver’s accreditation


  • £275 for the application which includes the first month’s fee
  • £275 for every additional month the overhang is required

Licence conditions

  • you will be responsible for any damage caused by the crane to the highway, street furniture, private property and personal injury
  • you must have public liability insurance of at least £6 million
  • your driver must maintain valid accreditation