Roadworks and traffic

Who can work on the highway?

Anyone planning to carry out work on or under a road, pavement or footpath (public highway) must notify us first, under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.

Work can only be carried out by:

  • council contractors
  • utility companies (known as statutory undertakers)
  • companies licensed by the Council

We keep a record of all works we’ve been notified about – known as the Street Works register.