Free information and advice about early years and childcare

Family Information Service (FIS)

Our Family Information Service (FIS) gives free, impartial advice about childcare, education, activities and support to parents and carers with children up to age 20 years or 25 years for those with a special educational need or disability (SEND).

We hold the only childcare database in the borough which contains comprehensive information about Ofsted-registered childcare. By searching the PDF directories below, you can locate, day nurseries, preschools, before and after school clubs and holiday playschemes in your area.

Please visit the Achieving for Children (AfC) website for up to date information.

Special education needs and disability

All childcare providers in the borough are inclusive and will happily work with you, to ensure that they can best meet your child’s needs. We recommend that families visit and speak to a variety of settings to find an environment that their child will enjoy. Childcare providers will be happy to arrange this if you contact them to arrange a visit.

If you are finding it difficult to locate or access a suitable provider for your child please contact us, we can assist you using our childcare brokerage service.

Find out more about choosing childcare for your child with SEND


Portage is a home teaching service for pre-school children whose learning and development is significantly delayed. A trained Portage Home Visitor will visit the home on a weekly or fortnightly basis and work alongside parents and carers to provide structured activities that will stimulate their child's development and support early learning. The service also supports children with social communication difficulties or Autism. For further information please see Portage.

Brokerage service

We can provide extra assistance for families who need support to find and access childcare or who need to find childcare at short notice. 

Kingston Childminding Association (KCMA)

Families looking for a registered childminder can also post their requirements on the KCMA website.