Child employment and performing

Chaperone licences


With the safety of the children performing or in employment being paramount, to prevent the spread of Covid 19 and to adhere to the Government ‘Social Distancing’ guidance and avoiding all non essential travel, Kingston Council are putting a hold on the issuing of Licenses for Children in Entertainment , Work Permits and Chaperone Applications until further notice.  

Who can chaperone children

Children who have been granted a licence to preform must be supervised at all times by:

  • a licensed chaperone or matron
  • or yourself (the child's parent or guardian)

Chaperones are licensed by the local authority in which they live. They are subject to enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks. A licence can be withdrawn if there are concerns about the conduct of the chaperone.   

Apply for a chaperone licence

If you live in the borough and would like to be a chaperone, you can apply to us for a licence. We charge £58 to issue the licence and carry out a DBS check. You can apply for the licence online.

Once we've received your application we'll contact you to arrange:

  • payment by cheque 
  • your DBS check
  • our Safe Guarding level one test