Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme

Housing Syrian refugees

Help resettle Syrian refugees to Kingston

The UK government is taking part in the UN’s programme to resettle refugees who have fled from their home countries, including those affected by conflict or civil war. The Prime Minister announced on 7 September 2015 that the UK would accept up to 20,000 Syrian refugees over the next 5 years.

We are working with partner organisations to bring 50 Syrian refugees, directly from the Middle East, to be housed and resettled in our borough.

We're asking if members of the community would be willing to rent a property at an affordable rate and for a minimum of 12 months that would allow the refugees to come to Kingston for sanctuary and resettlement.

Self contained homes 

We'd like to hear from you if you have a property in the borough which is:

  • a self contained home with its own front door (so it's not shared)
  • available for private letting and you'll accept rent at local housing allowance rates

For more details please see: offering a privately let, self contained property.

The model agreement for a shorthold assured tenancy can be found on the government website. You can also view a copy of the agreement between the council and the landlord here.

If you can help, please contact Nighat Taimuri, Programme Manager, on Tel: 0208 547 4686 Email: [email protected]

Spare rooms

At the moment the government criteria means we can only offer Syrian refugees self contained homes.

We've been contacted by thoughtful local residents who want to help and offer their spare rooms to Syrian refugees. We'll take the details of what you can offer and add it to our register. Then if the government's criteria changes, and we can use your spare room, we'll be able to contact you again.

If you would like to offer your spare room, let us know the details by completing our Syrian refugee housing register form. 

Properties outside the borough

If your property is outside of the Royal Borough of Kingston then you can register your property with Citizen UK.

Donations and help

If you want to give a donation or other help, please contact a local or national charity. These groups are working hard to support refugees and asylum seekers already in the UK.

You could make a donation to Refugee Action Kingston. This charity is already helping 1800 refugees and asylum seekers. These include Syrian refugees as well as those from other parts of the world. Find out more with Refugee Action Kingston.

If you have clothes or goods to offer, you could give them to the Kingston CalAid for migrants in Calais. Find out more with Kingston CalAid Collection.


If you are keen to help children and young people, you could consider fostering. Foster carers provide a safe place to stay for babies, children and young people aged up to 18 who are in Local Authority care. Find out more about fostering.