Move to a smaller home

Incentive to move scheme

If you are of pension age, you might qualify for our Incentive to Move Scheme. If your family have moved on and you find your home too big for you we would like to help you move to a new home that meets your needs.

You may be eligible for help moving if you are:

  • a Kingston Council tenant
  • under-occupying your home by one or more bedrooms
  • not affected by the spare room subsidy.

There are three options available to help you move to a smaller property. These are:

  1. Locally, with the council or a registered social landlord (housing association).
  2. Outside the local area through the Seaside and Country Homes Scheme or Homefinder UK.
  3. Within a sheltered housing development. 

If you qualify for our Incentive to Move Scheme, the council will pay you up to £1,750 and help you move by arranging removals with your prefered contractor or through the council. We will also arrange the disconnection and reconnection of services.  

I'm interested. What do I do next?

To apply for a move you will need to join Kingston's Housing Register.

For more details and to arrange a home visit to discuss your housing needs, please call the Housing Allocations Team on 020 8547 5125 or email [email protected]