Swap your home - mutual exchange
- Clear any rent arrears and have all outstanding repairs done.
- Find a suitable exchange partner - look online or in your area for others to exchange with, try:
- Apply for our permission for the exchange. You and your exchange partner must each fill in our mutual exchange application form. (If you are a housing association tenant, contact them to find out how to apply for permission).
- We’ll exchange tenant references with your new landlord.
- If all references are satisfactory we’ll book an appointment with you to inspect your property and talk through you application.
- Once the inspection is done, we’ll let you know if we approve the exchange. We’ll tell you within 42 days from the date we received your application.
- If we do approve the exchange, we’ll arrange an appointment for you and your exchange partner to come to the council offices to complete a ‘Notice of Assignment’.
- You can then organise the move.
- We will visit you one month after you have moved to find out if everything is all right.