Designation date: November 1980 and extended in October 1990
No of properties: 113
Area: 40.6 hectares
The special architectural and historic interest of this area can be summarised as: An area of individually designed detached and semi-detached houses dating from the 1850s set in a mature landscape on the edge of Richmond Park.
Historic background summary
The development of Liverpool Road and Crescent Road is shown on maps as far back as 1868 with substantial completion by the turn of the 20th century. The earlier Victorian houses are two storey, detached, elegant houses with sweeping roofs and rich in detailing. Front gardens are well planted with shrubs and trees and front boundaries are mostly intact.
More recent development in this conservation area includes Heatherdale Close - a 1970s development of six blocks of 3-storey town houses following the demolition of the Victorian Meadow House as well as Windmill Rise and Dutch Gardens which were developed in 1986 in the grounds of what was Kingsnympton Hall.
- The Vicarage and Vicarage End - Grade II listed building
- Church of St Paul, Alexandra Road - Grade II listed building
- Garden Wall And Gate Piers To Vicarage And Vicarage End And To The Church Of St Paul - Grade II listed building
- Kingston War Memorial - Grade II listed building
Locally Listed Buildings
- 2, 8, 16, 22, 24, 39, 41 Liverpool Road
- 2, 4, 6, 21a, 23, Crescent Road
- 14, 16, 35 Queens Road
- 19, 21 Tudor Drive
- 300, 302, 304, 306, 308, 314, 316, 318, 320 Kings Road
- The Albert Arms PH 57 Kingston Hill
Adjacent Conservation Areas (CA) / Local Areas of Special Character (LASC)
- Wyndham Road/Bockhampton Road LASC
- Princess Road; Arthur Road and Borough Road LASC
Archaeological Priority Area
Article 4 Directions
Liverpool Road Designation Report
If you have any questions about this conservation area or would like to find out whether you need planning permission before carrying out works to your property, please contact the Duty Planning Officer on 020 8547 5002.
Map of Liverpool Road conservation area