Designation date: April 1988 and extended in Sept 2009
No of properties: 456
Area: 15.5 hectares
The special architectural and historic interest of this area can be summarised as: A Regency and early Victorian linear housing development made up of two separate areas Oakhill Conservation Area (A) which runs along the old turnpike road of Ewell Road and Oakhill Conservation Area (B) which is made up of five large properties in Langley Road. The area around Ewell Road was later converted to a commercial centre, together with an area of substantial Victorian houses and The Wood open space to the west.
Like many conservation areas near Surbiton Town Centre, Oakhill conservation area remained almost completely undeveloped until the start of the 19th century. Much of the area formed an extensive area of open space, totalling around 190 acres, known as Surbiton Common. The area was traversed from North to South by the high road from Kingston to Ewell and Epsom, which we now call Ewell Road. Changes in the appearance of the Common began in 1808 when an Act of Parliament was passed for its enclosure.
The salubrity of Surbiton Hill led to the development of a few large houses and a number of cottages such as Horner Cottage at No. 73 Ewell Road, which is Grade II listed. However the rate of development was fairly slow until 1838 when the opening of the London and Southampton Railway in 1838 led to extensive building up until 1865. After this period development slowed down until the 1880s. The only major building erected during this time was the large Arts and Crafts style mansion now known as Hillcroft College. This property was built in extensive landscaped grounds in 1877 to the designs of Sir Rowland Plumb, and is also Grade II listed.
Aside from Hillcroft College, notable buildings which were built by 1850 include the four terraces of three houses in yellow stock bricks with rich stucco dressings on the Wyburn Estate south of the railway line. These include Nos 2,3, 4 and 5,6, 7 South Terrace, Nos 20, 22, 24 and 28,30, 32 and 34 Ewell Road which are all Grade II listed. Also of this period are the two groups of 15 detached and semi detached villas on the western side of Ewell Road comprising 108-134 and 140-144 and 148 Ewell Road. One of the most important townscape buildings in the area is Surbiton Hill Methodist Church which was built in 1883 to the designs of Charles Bell. The tower and spire of this early Gothic style building is a landmark for the wider area.
Other notable buildings of the 1800s include the former Berrylands Dairy at Nos 152/154 Ewell Road and Langleys restaurant at 158 Ewell Road erected in 1893, both in the classical style with pilasters and bold entablatures as well as the former Surbiton Council Offices at 17 Ewell Road.
Notable buildings from the first half of the 20th century include the Public Library at No19 Ewell Road, the fire station at No 31 Ewell Road and Surbiton General Hospital which opened in 1936.
The boundary of the conservation area excludes as much of the architectural development which dates after the Second World War as possible. However within the area there are a number of developments which include mid 19th century blocks of flats including: Palmerston Court, Leighton House, Russell Court and Georgian Terrace.
Listed Buildings (Oakhill Area A)
- Hillcroft College (including former stable block) - Grade II listed
- 2 - 7 South Terrace - Grade II listed
- Sessions House - 17 Ewell Road - Grade II listed
- 20, 22 , 24 Ewell Road - Grade II listed
- 28 - 34 Ewell Road - Grade II listed
- Horner Cottage, Ewell Road - Grade II listed
- 85 Ewell Road - Grade II listed
- Surbiton War Memorial Ewell Road - Grade II listed
Listed Buildings (Oakhill Area B)
Locally Listed Buildings (Oakhill Area A)
- Surbiton Library 21/23 Ewell Road
- War Memorial Memorial Gardens Ewell Road Surbiton
- Fire Station 31-33 Ewell Road
- 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, Oakhill
- 23 Oakhill Grove
- Surbiton Hill Methodist Church, Ewell Road
- 72, 81, 83, 87, 89, 93, 95, Ewell Road
- 127 - 143 Ewell Road
- 158 -164 Ewell Road
- 172 - 180 Ewell Road
- The Prince of Wales PH 117 Ewell Road
- Oaklands Baptist Church, Langley Road Surbiton
Locally Listed Buildings (Oakhill Area B)
15-25 Langley Road, Surbiton
Adjacent Conservation Areas (CA) /Local Areas of Special Character (LASC)
Walpole Road LASC
Archaeological Priority Area
Article 4 Directions
- Oakhill Conservation Area Designation Report (Area B)
- Assessment of Surbiton Conservation Areas and Local Areas of Special Character (2004)
If you have any questions about this conservation area or would like to find out whether you need planning permission before carrying out works to your property, please contact the Duty Planning Officer on 020 8547 5002.
Map of Oakhill conservation area