Schools are required to develop a travel plan which promotes safe and sustainable travel to pupils, parents and staff. The plan must meet criteria set by the Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) and the Department for Transport (DfT). Schools in London boroughs must also have their travel plans approved by Transport for London.Travel plans usually:
- improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists (showers, lockers and cycle parking)
- promote cycling and provide cycle training
- promote road safety
- encourage car shares
- the area often has less traffic - it becomes safer and less congested
- people are encouraged to cycle or walk and be healthier
- awareness of environmental issues increases
- children develop road awareness and safety skills
- travel options that are free or cheaper than using a private car are promoted
- the need for parking spaces is decreased
Transport for London's STARS website provides guidance and tools for creating a school travel plan.
You may need planning permission if you want to install a structure like a cycle parking stand. Please see our planning pages for more information on the planning application process.