Sustainable travel planning for businesses
We are committed to helping workplaces improve transport choices for customers and staff.
Workplace travel planning
Businesses and workplaces are required to develop a travel plan as a condition of planning consent for an expansion or new development. A workplace travel plan manages the transport and travel impacts of a workplace. It involves a package of practical measures designed to encourage your employees and visitors to travel to and from your site by sustainable modes of transport.
Travel plans usually:
- improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists (showers, lockers and cycle parking)
- promote and subsidise the use of public transport
- encourage car shares, working from home and teleconferencing
Even if your business is not planning a development, it is a good idea to create a travel plan as they:
- reduce congestion and pollution in the area
- help your business spend less on car parking facilities
- can save your employees money and improve their health by promoting cycling and walking
- show your commitment to corporate social responsibility
We can help you develop a workplace travel plan, get in touch with our Sustainable Transport Team.
Workplace Travel Scorecard
We're currently piloting a Workplace Travel Scorecard, which is an initiative to help you assess workplace travel, identify areas for intervention and implement real changes. By becoming involved in the scheme, you could find a number of ways to save money through reviewing travel choices, as well as having a positive effect on your green credentials.
To find out more, contact the Sustainable Transport Team.