Pest control

Information for householders and tenants


If you have a problem with pests you could try reading an online advice guide to take action yourself. The British Pest Control Control Association (BPCA) provides an A-Z of pests with advice on how to deal with each pest (such as insects and mammals).

If this does not work you may like to call in a pest controller. The British Pest Control Association website can help you find a pest controller (one which follows their code of conduct).

When looking for a pest controller, make sure you:
  • get at least three quotations
  • find out if there is a call out fee or fixed charge
  • find out what service and guarantee they will provide you with
  • ensure they have insurance cover
  • check their qualifications (a certificate in Pest Control from the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health (RSPH) or the BPCA)
  • are happy with him/her and understand the advice he or she gives
  • consider personal recommendations from friends, neighbours or colleagues

If bait is used your pest controller will need to visit a few times to inspect the bait and keep it topped up. He or she should also carry out a final inspection once the programme is complete to ensure no bait is left behind.

If rodenticides are used, your pest controller should carry out an environmental assessment to consider the possible threats to wildlife and domestic animals. You can find out more about responsible use of rodenticides on the Think wildlife website.

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant and you are concerned about pests, please contact your estate manager to report the problem.

Private sector tenants

If you are renting in the private sector and you are concerned about pests, please contact your landlord to report the problem.