What is a noise nuisance?

If you live within the borough you can tell us about noise that interferes significantly with your right to enjoy your home. We can take legal action if we agree that the noise significantly affects your enjoyment of your home and is considered to be a statutory nuisance. We often need to witness the noise ourselves before we can take action.

Noise is not a statutory nuisance just because it is loud. The person responsible for the noise must be acting unreasonably.

We also consider:

  • how often the noise occurs
  • how long the noise sounds for
  • how loud it is
  • the time of day or night
  • the character of the noise (whether it has any particularly annoying characteristics)
  • the nature of the area

We can usually take action for persistent noise disturbance from:

  • amplified music
  • barking dogs
  • DIY activities
  • car and burglar alarms
  • building sites (if the noise is outside specified working hours)
  • noisy deliveries
  • licensed premises
  • commercial and industrial activities
  • plant and equipment (machinery noise, such as air conditioning and extractor fans etc)

We cannot take action for noises such as:

  • general domestic noise transmitted through poor sound insulation
  • children playing inside and outside premises
  • shouting and fighting
  • traffic noise
  • aircraft noise
  • noise from rowdy or antisocial behaviour in the street or public places