Types of tenancy and your rights
If you haven’t been a housing association tenant before, you may be offered a starter tenancy with your housing association. This is like a one-year trial period.You become an assured or fixed term tenant after 12 months, unless your housing association has
- started action to evict you
- extended your starter tenancy
Assured tenancyYou can live in your home for the rest of your life as long as you keep to the terms of the agreement.
Fixed term tenancyYou can live in your home for a set number of years. A review will be carried out before the end of the fixed term.
Your rightsYour rights will be set out in your tenancy agreement. Contact your housing association if you aren’t clear what they are.
They may include:
- the Right to Acquire your home at a discount after five years
- having your home repaired
- swapping your home with another council or housing association tenant