Council housing repairs

Repairs we are responsible for

We are responsible for maintaining the fabric and structure of your home and any communal areas.

Things we will repair

The structure

  • the structure of the property, for example walls, roofs, joists and beams


  • window frames, window catches and safety devices
  • external doors and door frames
  • treatment of damp, rot and woodworm

Window glazing

  • glazing to communal areas (we may board up or use alternative materials)
  • glazing to your home where the repair was caused by a defect
  • glazing to your home where the repair was the result of a crime (in this case we need a crime reference number – without this number you will be recharged)

Water supply

  • water and electricity supplies to your home and where there is an existing gas supply, maintain it
  • all council owned pipes and waste pipes

Sanitary appliances

  • baths, basins, sinks, toilets, cisterns, kitchen cupboards and work surfaces
  • we will clear blockages – however, you will be recharged if the cause of the blockage is attributed to you

Gas appliances

  • gas fittings and appliances such as central heating, water heaters, boilers and fitted fires

Electrical installations

  • electrical wiring including sockets and switches provided by us

Other internal and external fittings

  • plaster work to walls and ceilings
  • drains, gutters, down pipes, chimneys and flues
  • communal areas such as pathways, estate roads, hallways, communal stairs and lighting, balconies and waste chutes
  • lifts and fire equipment
  • door entry equipment
  • communal television aerials
  • warden call systems
  • fencing and gates to communal parts or gardens
  • external decorations and decorations to communal parts