Council housing repairs

Repairs you are responsible for

You are responsible for some repairs within your home and for those where you have caused damage. You must also allow us to carry out repairs and servicing in your home. This is set out in your tenancy agreement.

Things you must repair


  • replacing lost keys to your home and gaining access to your home if you lose your keys, any lock changes and repairs to the door after a forced entry
  • if we need to gain entry to your home by force, you will be recharged for repairs to the door and any other associated works

Window glazing

  • re-glazing any windows in your home resulting from accidental damage, misuse or negligence by you or any of your household, guests or pets

We can carry our lock changes and window glazing for you, but you will be recharged.

Water supply

  • the maintenance of any water pipe work and fittings installed by you, for example, washing machine fittings or showers

Sanitary appliances

  • clearing blockages to baths, basins and sinks
  • any damage caused by you to any fixture, fitting, wall etc within the property, for example, holes in internal doors, broken wash hand basins, toilet cistern lids or baths

Other internal and external fittings

  • minor repairs such as bath plugs and chains, pull cords, changing light bulbs and fluorescent tubes, and replacing toilet seats
  • any fixtures and fittings installed by you or a previous tenant
  • internal decorations, including any minor cracks to plasterwork, adjusting doors to fit over newly installed floor coverings and the fitting of curtain rails
  • fencing, other than where there is a health and safety risk, gates and gate latches, washing lines and clothes posts in your garden
  • the sweeping of chimneys and flues
  • keep gardens tidy, making sure that threes and shrubs do not grow to a size that may affect your neighbours or have an impact on the structure of your home or neighbouring homes, communal housing land or highways