Paying for support (what we charge)

Charges for non-residential care

Once you've had an assessment of your care needs and it is decided you need  receiving community care services, you may be asked to contribute towards the cost of your non-residential care.  The amount you pay will be calculated in accordance with the council’s charging policy for Adult Social Care Services.

The council's charging policy complies with the Care Act 2014 which aims to provide a reasonable and equitable charging framework for all service users.

Whether or not you need to contribute depends on your financial circumstances and we will carry out a financial assessment to work out how much your contribution might be.

To find out how much you might have to pay, try our Online Financial Assessment Calculator.    

The calculator is  designed to give you an idea of your likely charge. Your charge will be finalised once you have returned a financial assessment form to the Council's Adult Social Care Finance Team.   

Financial assessment

You will need to complete a financial assessment form

When the form is returned to the Council you will be offered a benefit check by a member of the Adult Social Care Finance Team  who will make sure that you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled.

When the assessment is complete, we will write to you to confirm how much you can contribute, if anything. Until we are able to confirm all your financial details, we may provide you with an initial assessment based on information available to us from the Department for Work and Pensions. All information will remain confidential and is only used for the purpose of collecting your contribution. 

You can refuse to have a financial assessment.  However, if you don't you will be classed as a self-funder and will be expected to pay the maximum contribution towards the cost of your care, regardless of your financial circumstances.

You may be entitled to help with your care costs if your savings are under £23,250

How much help you get depends on:

  • your financial situation 

  • the actual cost of the services you need (these are identified by a care and support assessment using national eligibility criteria)

Your financial assessment looks at savings, income and expenses

We count:

  • your savings, investments & capital - but we don't count the value of your home while you or your partner are still living there as your  main and only home

  • your weekly income from pensions and benefits (including disability benefits) - but not including earnings from paid work or the mobility part of disability benefits

We make allowances for certain expenses.

We use this information to work out your Assessed Maximum Weekly Charge - this is the most you could be asked to pay for your eligible care services.

What you pay depends on the weekly cost of your care

If the weekly cost of your care services is less than your Assessed Maximum Weekly Charge you will need to pay the full cost of your care.

If the weekly cost of your care services is more than your Assessed Maximum Weekly Charge we may be able to help you with your care costs.

If you have savings and capital over the Upper Capital Limit (£23,250)

You won't be eligible for financial support from the council. However:

  • The value of your main home and personal belongings are not included as part of the financial assessment.

  • You can ask us to arrange and manage your community care and support arrangements for you - but there is an additional charge for this service

  • you may be eligible for tax-free disability benefits to help with your care costs (Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment - see - disability benefits

If you refuse or fail to complete a financial assessment

You won't get any help with your care costs.

However, you can change your mind and ask for a financial assessment at any time.

Disability Related Expenditure 

You are able to claim additional costs you incur due to your disability. Please download the Disability Related Expenditure leaflet for further information.

Deprivation of capital

This means that you have intentionally decreased your amount of capital, such as savings, to avoid or reduce care contributions. You might have given away a lump sum of cash or transferred a property to someone else. If the Council suspects that this has been done to avoid paying for care you might be assessed as still holding this asset or the third party who now holds the asset may become liable for part of your contribution.  

If someone looks after your money for you (a financial representative)

Please provide details on the financial assessment  form of the person who is managing your money. The form  asks for the name, address and phone number of your financial representative as they will need to be involved in your financial assessment

If the contribution you have been asked to pay is not affordable , you can also submit an appeal.

How to appeal

Details on how to appeal you charge.

We will write to you to acknowledge your appeal and send details of the appeals procedure. You can also request a copy of the appeals procedure by calling or emailing [email protected] 

Independent financial advice 

The  society for later life advisers can provide independent advice to anyone who   may require care and support

Sources of Further Information 

The Care Act 2014 and its accompanying Regulations and the Care and Support Statutory Guidance can all be accessed through the website. The Care and Support Statutory Guidance includes specific chapters on the subject of charging, together with more detailed guidance in Annexes A – F. 

Age Concern factsheet 40 provides some useful information regarding  deprivation of assets. All Age concern Fact sheets are available to the public.