Paying for support (what we charge)

What we charge for services

I want advice about paying for care

There is usually a charge for social care and support services provided by councils, voluntary organisations, charities and private companies but some are provided without charge.

For example we do not charge for any information or advice we offer you or for your needs assessment. We charge a flat rate for some services, this will usually increase annually each April and you will be informed of any increase.

We have to ask you to pay towards services like home care, direct payments, personal budgets and day care. We'll always tell you what this will be before you start using them.

Sometimes we can reduce how much you have to pay or we can provide it free, depending on your situation. We can also help you claim any benefits that you might be eligible for.

Does everyone have to pay towards their services?

No - you won't have to pay if you:

  • earn less than the basic Income Support or Pension Credit level, plus a 25 per cent buffer
  • have Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD)
  • are getting aftercare services under section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1982
  • are getting reablement services, or intermediate care services, for a maximum of six weeks
  • get services funded by the Kingston Clinical Commissioning Group for people who meet the NHS continuing care criteria
  • are a carer getting services under section two of the Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000