The council is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. Through this privacy notice we have sought to be as transparent as possible to fully explain how your personal information is held and processed. This notice explains how we collect, use and share your information and how we keep it and how we keep it secure.
- Read the full privacy notice (PDF)
How we use your information
We are registered as a 'data controller' under the Data Protection Act 1998 and are committed to compliance with the Act. This notice explains how we use and share personal information which may be collected online, on paper or by email, telephone, CCTV or in person by different departments across the Council.
Why do we collect and keep personal information about you?
We collect, process and hold information in order to:
- provide efficient and effective services
- deliver public services
- understand what we can do for you and inform other relevant services and benefits
- obtain your opinion about our services
- prevent and detect fraud and corruption in the use of public funds
- allow us to undertake our statutory functions and meet our statutory obligations
How we will use your information?
We will use personal data in a manner that conforms to the Data Protection Act and will endeavour to keep the information accurate and up to date. We will process personal data for the following purposes:
- to deal with the service that you requested and to allow us to be able to communicate, and provide services appropriate to your needs and to monitor our performance in responding to your request
- to ensure we meet our legal obligations
- to prevent and detect fraud or crime
- for our law enforcement functions, ie trading standards, planning enforcement, licensing and other regulatory enforcement
- to process financial transactions including grants, payments, benefits and invoices involving us or when we are acting on behalf of other government bodies
- to conduct research and surveys and to allow for the statistical analysis of data so we can plan the provision of services
- where necessary to protect individuals from harm or injury
- where you have consented to the processing
- where otherwise permitted under the Data Protection Act