The project started on site at the end of September 2013.
New market stalls opened for business on 19 May. The last few bits of work to finish the whole Market Place are complete.
The restoration of the Market House will be completed by 20 June 2014.
The work included:
- new market stall structures, including the new flower stall on Church Street.
- new gas, electricity and water supplies for the market stalls
- major excavation works to install a new and improved drainage system around the Market Place
- new drainage system to the west of the Market House
- internal fit out of new the market stalls
- new granite paving throughout the Market Place
- engraved threshold paving strips at each entrance point to the Market Place, including all the alleyways running down to the river and towards Union Street
- new street furniture, including more cycle racks, three 'Legible London' street signs, new highway signs and beautiful timber benches around the Market House