Have your say on the future of the borough
We are preparing a new Local Plan which will set out a vision for the future of the borough and guide what development goes where, including homes, schools, infrastructure and transport links. This consultation is the first step. Share your thoughts and ideas on how we plan for the future of the borough up to 2041.
Come along to one of our events
Book your place and share your views at one of our events:
- Jobs, businesses and the role of town centres: Monday 8 July, 6pm to 9.30pm at Kingston Quaker Centre, Fairfield East, Kingston, KT1 2PT
- Design, heritage and sustainability: Wednesday 10 July, 6pm to 9.30pm at Malden Golf Club, Traps Lane, New Malden, KT3 4RS
- Housing, including type, quality and affordability: Monday 22 July, 6pm to 9.30pm at The cornerHOUSE, 116 Douglas Road, Surbiton, KT6 7SB
- Infrastructure, including community facilities, transport and open space: Thursday 25 July, 6pm to 9.30pm at Chessington School, Garrison Lane, Chessington, KT9 2JS
We’re holding targeted events for key groups in the borough to help us plan for the future of Kingston up to 2041:
- Are you living in housing association or council housing?: Monday 1 July, 7pm to 9pm at Kingston Library, Fairfield Road, Kingston, KT1 2PS
- Are you 25 or under?: Thursday 4 July, 7pm to 9pm at Canbury Pavilion, Lower Ham Road, Kingston, KT2 5AU
- Are you 65 or over?: Tuesday 23 July, 2pm to 4pm at The Bradbury, 37B Grange Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2RA
- Do you have a disability?: Thursday 25 July, 2pm to 4pm at Richard Mayo Centre, Eden Street, Kingston, KT1 1HZ
We have also published our Local Plan Site Assessments. A list of sites around the borough that have been submitted to the council, either as part of the Call for Sites consultation (held in 2017), or as part of work by the Greater London Authority.
You can have your say on both documents by:
- visiting our consultation portal to submit your comments online
- sending an email to: [email protected]
- writing to us: Strategic Planning Team, The Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames, Guildhall 2, High Street, Kingston Upon Thames, KT1 1EU
There are printed copies of the documents in all libraries in the borough, as well as the Information and Advice Centre in Guildhall 2.
An audio summary and transcript of the Local Plan Early Engagement document are also available.
A Plain Text Word Version of the document can also be downloaded.
Send us your feedback by Wednesday 31 July 2019.
Further more detailed consultation sessions on the Local Plan will be set up borough-wide in due course to collect ideas and thoughts on the Local Plan. Full details of all the events will be published shortly.
Creating a new Local Plan
This is the first stage of public consultation called ‘Local Plan Early Engagement’ in line with Regulation 18 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012.
The new Local Plan, when adopted, will replace the current Local Plan (called the Core Strategy, 2012). This document needs updating because of the changing environment, particularly around the National Planning Policy Framework and the Mayor’s London Plan, which increased the borough’s housing target in 2016, and is currently being reviewed.
The Local Plan will provide a long term vision and strategy to meet the future needs for homes and employment in the borough, identifying changes that may happen, and the broad locations for such development. It will manage development by including planning policies which will be used to determine whether planning applications are approved or refused.
Once the consultation has closed, the council will review the feedback and carry out further work to develop the Local Plan, including carrying out specialist evidence studies and an Integrated Impact Assessment, which will build on the Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report.
Our Local Development Scheme sets out our formal timetable to deliver the Local Plan and other planning documents.