Altering or extending your home

Most extensions or alterations to your home will need approval, including: 

  • Structural changes like underpinning, making a through lounge, partly removing a chimney breast
  • Changing a building’s use, like converting a garage into a room
  • Putting in, extending or changing drains, like putting in a new toilet under the stairs
  • Extending a building, like adding a kitchen extension or loft conversion
  • Replacing windows - unless your installer belongs to a recognised Competent Person Self-Certification Scheme
  • Some electrical installation work – unless your electrician belongs to a recognised Competent Person Self-Certification Scheme.

Pre-contract advice on building projects

For more advice on home improvement projects visit the Citizens Advice website for information and guidance on choosing a suitable trader.


How do I make an application?

All you need to do is complete a simple application form and return it to us with a copy of your plans (where appropriate) together with your payment. Our charges are among the lowest in London and start at just £360.00 + vat for a basic extension. When the work starts, you can call us for inspections, or book on-line if you prefer (same day service if booked before 10.00am).

Planning permission

Many small extensions don’t need planning permission as they are within your development rights, but if you want to extend beyond specified limits and conditions you will need permission.