Dropped kerbs, vehicle crossings and driveways

Guidance for applying for a vehicle crossing

Before you carry out any works

Council owned properties

If the property is or was owned by us, you will need to obtain permission to park a vehicle within the property from the housing department. To gain this permission, which needs to be in writing, please contact your area housing manager via our Housing contact centre. This should be done before you submit an application to construct a vehicle crossing.

Properties on red routes

If your property is on the Transport for London (TfL) road network (red routes), you must apply directly to TfL for highway approval prior to seeking planning permission from us.

When planning permission is required

There are a number of circumstances where you will require planning permission.

These include:

  • if you wish to form a vehicle crossover or vehicle crossover extension onto a classified road
  • you wish to form an access to a multi-dwelling property, ie flats, maisonettes
  • you are proposing to construct your hard-standing without sustainable drainage ie your hard-standing will drain directly onto the highway or directly into the sewer system
  • your property is in a conservation area
  • listed building

Obtain planning permission before you submit your application for a vehicle crossing or extension. Contact Planning before you submit an application to construct a vehicle crossing.

If you don't require planning permission or after you've obtained planning permission, send us your vehicle crossing application form, together with the administration fee of £126, and await the decision of the application before you carry out any works to your frontage or wall/fence.

Reasons your application may be refused

Street trees and grass verges

We're very keen to preserve the borough’s stock of street trees. If a street tree is likely to be affected by your proposal and there is no acceptable alternative position for the crossing, the application will be rejected.

Not enough space for parking

If you are unable to provide a parking area (known as the hard-standing) that is 4.80 metres in length, measured at right angles to the highway and 2.7 metres  in width your application will be refused.

If your application is approved

If your application is approved, we will provide you with an estimated cost of constructing a vehicle crossing (and any other related works) and information regarding its position and size. If this is acceptable, you can then proceed to open up your access and construct your hard-standing. Please make sure that the opening at your property boundary is no wider than the vehicle crossing or extension requested.

Inform us when this has been done, so that a site inspection can be undertaken. We will then confirm the cost of constructing the vehicle crossing.

Cost of the vehicle crossing

The estimated and actual cost of constructing a vehicle crossing or extension is based upon our Contractor’s schedule of rates current at the time. They will remain valid for a period of three months.

Additional works

There are some occasions when other related works or procedures will be necessary in order to construct a crossing, eg:

  • moving a street lighting column
  • moving a traffic sign and post
  • removing a tree and planting replacements
  • adjustment to statutory undertakers’ inspection covers in the footway (eg water, gas, cable TV)
  • amendment to a traffic management order within a controlled parking zone

The cost of any of the above additional works will be added to the cost of the crossing construction and paid for by the applicant.

Payment options

A crossing will not be ordered for construction until payment arrangements have been made. There are two options for payment:

  • payment in full
  • payment by ten equal instalments – an additional £25 arrangement fee needs to be added to the works estimate and a cheque for the first payment (10 per cent) is to accompany the ‘form of agreement’

The monthly payment option is not available to businesses. Make cheques payable to “Royal Borough of Kingston”.

Your hard-standing (parking area)

Size and specifications for the parking area

Once you receive the initial estimate, you will be required to create a hard-standing (a parking area) within the boundaries of your property. This needs to be a minimum of 4.80 metres in length or more, measured at right angles to the highway, by 2.7 metres in width and should be constructed in such a way that it can accommodate the weight of the vehicle it is intended for.

When planning permission is needed for the parking area

A recent change in the planning regulations now requires planning permission to be given if the hard-standing drains directly on to the highway or into a piped drainage system. To avoid having to apply for planning permission the hard standing should be of porous construction or drain into some form of soak-away provision.


Your hard-standing must be constructed and drained in a sustainable way, ie surface water drains into the adjacent ground or soak away – hard-standings that drain directly into your existing surface water connection to the sewer or drain onto the highway will not be accepted.

Loose material

If you are proposing to use a loose material to surface your hard-standing, you must provide an adequate and permanent retaining strip to prevent the material spilling onto the highway. The strip should be a minimum of 400mm wide and at least 40mm above the level of the hard-standing to retain the loose material.

About the vehicle crossing

Ownership of the vehicle crossing

Please note that a vehicle crossing forms part of the public highway and is being provided to strengthen the highway to allow vehicular access to the adjacent property. Although it is paid for by you, it is within our (the Council's) ownership and control.

The location, specification and workmanship are at our discretion and will be influenced by other highway requirements.

Extensions to vehicle crossings and appearance

Extensions to existing vehicle crossings will not have the same appearance or texture as the older surfaces they are being added to. This is not due to faulty workmanship or materials. If this is of real concern to you, the Technician dealing with your application will be able to give you some options and the associated additional costs to minimise the difference.


Vehicle crossovers will be installed to provide proper cross fall and drainage of the footway. We are under no obligation to meet the existing threshold level of your property. Where appropriate and with the owner’s consent minor accommodation works may be undertaken within the private frontage to reduce any difference in levels.